Counting small miracles. Expecting large blessings.



Sunday, December 6, 2009

An update

Even though Abby was born on Wed, Dec. 2, we weren't able to come home with her until Friday, Dec. 4. That's because I tested positive for the Group B strep, and I was supposed to get two doses of penicillan intravenously while I was in labor. But Abby came so fast I had 20 minutes left of my second dose. So the pediatrician wouldn't release Abby until Friday morning.

Bella had been staying with her Aunt Rachel (and having a ball!) so she came home Friday, too. Our first day at home was fine. Rachel put Bella down for her nap, I laid down, and Rachel did my laundry and straightened up my house for me, which was so nice. Abby was an angel all afternoon. So our first day home was great.

Our first night was another story! Abby decided that instead of eating every 4 hours, which she had been doing since birth, she wanted to eat every 1 1/2 or 2 hours. And fuss in between. So we spent the entire night feeding, changing, and rocking. I literally slept from 6 a.m. to 7 a.m. and that was it.

Yesterday was a repeat of Friday, Abby slept all day. I'm afraid she's getting her days and nights mixed up, but she's impossible to keep awake. For one of her feedings I had to strip her down to her onesie and wash her face with a warm washcloth so she would wake up to eat!

Last night was a little better, she slept from 10p.m. to 2a.m. , but we were pretty much up after that.

As for Bella, she is adjusting to life as a big sister very well. She doesn't seem to be the least bit jealous. We are making sure to let her hold Baby Abby or 'help' with her anytime she wants to, and everyone who has visited has made sure to give her lots of attention first, which has been great. We do have to remind her to 'be easy' pretty often, as her hugs and kisses can get a little overenthusiastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment