Counting small miracles. Expecting large blessings.



Sunday, December 27, 2009

Remember the Sabbath!?!

I wanted to post again today and let everyone know I haven't gone off the deep end. Tiptoed near, yes. Peered over the edge, maybe. But not gone off. Don't plan on it.

Today we took Abby to church for the first time. And I know we aren't supposed to be prideful, but you know how moms are about new babies. I was looking forward to showing her off after service, 'cause she is pretty darn cute.

As so often happens, it didn't go as I planned.

Webster defines a "sanctuary" as a place of worship, or a consecrated area. And in our church that's how we treat it, which means you sit down and shut up! You won't hear, "Hey, how's your mom?" or ,"How 'bout that game last night?". When you go in, you use that time to read your bible or pray or just sit quietly. And that's what we teach our children to do from a young age.

Bella was doing great B.A. (before Abby!) She would sit quietly on my lap or her dad's and draw or play with a quiet toy. But we've missed a few services due to the new baby and also snow. So I was really looking forward to today. But even though the scripture reading was from Ephesians, by the time we pulled out of the parking lot I had something from the book of Job echoeing in my head, something about, "man is born to trouble as the sparks fly upward".

Shortly into the service she decided to regale us with her rendition of "Twinkle Twinkle little star". This is an activity I usually encourage. But not in the middle of a church service. I tried to shush her to no avail, and finally had to take her out, as she yelled, "Don't spank me!" all the way to the door.

I took her to the nursery where we quickly progressed to screaming and flailing. So I ended up just taking her out to the car, strapping her in her carseat, and having a good cry in the front seat! (I told you, I'm really weepy these days!)

What makes this really stink is that I'm the pianist at our church, so when service was close to being over my husband had to come switch places with me so I could go back inside and play. And then by the time I got back outside, the crisis was over and Bella calmly informed me that she needed to go potty, and wanted me to take her, not Daddy.

Her mood swings give me whiplash.

This too shall pass. I may be medicated when it does, but it will pass. ;-)

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your posts. They are so real and you do such a wonderful job putting your life into words. Thanks

    ~Katie

    ReplyDelete