Counting small miracles. Expecting large blessings.



Monday, December 6, 2010

A Little Sticky...A Lot of Sap...

This year I decided that no only did I NOT want to use our puny artificial tree, I did NOT want an overpriced, dehydrated tree from a roadside stand. I wanted a real, honest-to-goodness fresh cut pine tree. I wanted the whole experience.

So my husband, who is usually very accomodating when I get these wild hairs, loaded us up last Saturday and we drove to Madison County, North Kakalacka. It was beautiful. It was sunny. It was freezing. And so began our Christmas Tree Adventure.

We found the tree farm that one of my coworkers had told me about, and a friendly Mexican worker directed us to the first field on the right. The first field on the right happened to be on the side of a mountain. In mud. Really deep mud. We got turned around and parked facing down hill and bundled up the kids. There were trees as far as the eye could see. And several men walking around with chain saws, which I have to admit was a tiny bit disconcerting, despite the circumstances.

Here is my wonderful husband, foraging for a tree and carrying
the baby. Yep, he's a keeper. (The big stick he's holding is used
to measure the trees by)

Bella shows off our perfect tree!
Once we found the tree, we flagged down a couple of men to cut it and
haul it down the hill for us. They wrapped it up and tied it on top of my
Forerunner, we gave them $35, and headed for home.
Then the tree went easily in the tree stand, the end. Yeah, right. Of course, the
tree stand was missing a piece, which I pointed out to my husband after several
minutes of effort. He continued to try really hard to make it work, then said to
me, "There's a piece missing." At this point you say, "Oh, really?" like it's news you
you.
$20, thirty minutes, and a new tree stand later:

At this point we were starting to realize a crucial fact to remember when
purchasing a tree at a tree farm: When at the tree farm, remember that any tree you
pick out will be two to three times bigger than you think it is once you get it in your living
room. Luckily, we have a big living room.

Bella and her daddy decorating the tree:

Our mostly decorated tree- I strung some beads on
later. The thing is over seven feet tall, and I think six
feet wide. She's a beaut, Clark!





No comments:

Post a Comment