Counting small miracles. Expecting large blessings.



Thursday, December 30, 2010

Just This and That...

So just to catch up on the happenings at the Edmonds household. Starting with Abbigail, as the Last shall be First.

Abby: I often tell Abby it's a good thing she's cute. I also tell her if she'd been my first kid, she'd have been my last. Please don't think I'm mean. I love her very dearly. She's beautiful and a blessing and I'm so thankful she's mine. That being said, she's a fussy, needy kid. Nana says it's just because we have spoiled her. I don't recall specific dates and times said spoiling occured, though. What does Nana know, anyway. Pffff. *eye roll* Moving on. Abby has just recently cut two of her lower molars, which makes teeth numbers 7 and 8. Twelve to go. And she's progressed quite rapidly from walking to running. ("From then on, whenever I went somewhere, I was run-ing".) Which would be fine, except she's about as coordinated as I am. Luckily, she's a tough little cookie. It's a good thing....which brings us to

Arabella: My Bella-boo. My punkin-head. Bella is growing both in stature and the ability to facilitate mood swings. One minute she is my sweet, adoring three year old, I blink and she's giving me tween attitude. Talk to the hand, sister, not in my house! So we are working on various methods of discouraging that. I find for now the best is to explain (calmly!) that certain behaviour is not acceptable. She usually gets the point. We are working (both of us!) on using our "nice" voices, and also on manners. Like saying, "Can I have chocolate milk please?" instead of "Get me chocolate milk!" Oh dear Lord, if they made a cow that produced chocolate milk straight from the teat (I really hope that's what it's called) I give my right kidney for it. Chocolate milk is like crack to her. Sheesh. Anyway, we completed our fall semester of homeschool co-op and will be starting back up in February. I have taken a break from home lessons over the holidays be expect to start back up next week. My plans are to begin a more structured program with her in the fall, using Saxon Math and a reading program recommended to me by several moms. I like both of these because they are simple, scripted, and require very little planning ahead.

Dad (K): The hubby is good. He has begun his new job at Eastman Chemical and we are adjusting to his crazy schedule. They work 12 hour swing shifts. So for instance, he has worked third the past three nights. Now he has three days off. Then works four days, then has seven off. Etc. and so on. I bought a big dry-erase calendar for the kitchen to help us keep track. So far he is liking it a lot. And when the schedule falls so that he is off when I am working, he has been keeping the girls. So they are getting lots of quality time. So much so that some days when I come in he has that semi-crazed look in his eye and I know he's thinking, "A twelve hour shift is nothing compared to this!" Just kidding. K is a wonderful dad.

Mom: Oh, mother of pearl. Now me. Lets see...oh, I am going to be working at ETSU this spring, helping instruct the dental hygiene students in their clinicals. I'm really excited about that. What do they say? Those who can't do, teach! I am just trying to keep up with these little girls and be half the mother my mom is! It's hard! Being a great mom would be so much easier without the kids! ;-) I love my punkin-head and my Baby Precious, and I am so blessed to have them. I am looking forward to what the new year holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment