Counting small miracles. Expecting large blessings.



Sunday, May 3, 2009

Bath time and Harry Connick, Jr.

I just got Bella out of the bath. Bathtime is always an adventure. The second she gets in the bathroom she starts 'messing' as I call it, just getting into everything. (For the record, she pretty much does this all the time.) She's squirting the shampoo in to the tub or she's in the closet trying to reach her sidewalk chalk. Once she's in the bath I can relax a little, I just have to supervise the level of splashing. And occasionally stop her from dumping a cupful of water over the edge of the tub. Or keep her from pulling the knob that turns the shower on, which she does even though it scares her. Okay, so bathtime isn't really relaxing!
But the best part of bath time is when I get her out, wrap her in her little hoodie towel, and pull her onto my lap and wrap my arms around her. Then we sing.
I've never really sung normal lullabies to her. When she was tiny I would sing "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash. Or that old song from the 50s or 60s, "Palisades Park", that always made her laugh. But right now her absolute favorite is "A Wink and a Smile" by Harry Connick, Jr., from the soundtrack of Sleepless in Seattle. I have no idea, but she loves this song. She'll lean her cheek against mine, and the awesome part is she's trying to sing, too. She'll repeat the last word or two from each line. It's the best thing ever.
After all, "You can't have a dream, and cut it to fit. It's only green lights and all right, we go together, like a wink and a smile."

No comments:

Post a Comment