Counting small miracles. Expecting large blessings.



Monday, May 18, 2009

At least dessert was good...

This evening was one of those that makes you want to pull your hair out...but ends well. To me, one of the most challenging aspects of being a working mom is trying to get home and get a decent, home-cooked meal on the table as often as I can. Finding things that are fast, easy, and taste good is a challenge sometimes. Today I was ready to throw in the towel and order a pizza! To start with, due to a crock-pot malfunction, my soup beans weren't done. So I had to pour them into a pot and put them on the stove to finish cooking. I didn't have enough flour for the fried corn and had to use corn meal instead (which turned out okay but was just aggravating). Then my corn bread stuck to the skillet, and I blistered my hand on the hot handle trying to shake it out! And of course, when we finally sit down to eat, Bella will eat none of the above. She instead chooses to have Raisin Bran. Halfway through that she turns the bowl over.
Needless to say by the end of the meal I was a little high strung. I asked K to take her outside to play a few minutes while I cleaned up the kitchen. So I stood there at the sink, angrily scrubbing pots, and thought, "Calm down!" So I just told God how I felt, like I wasn't doing a very good job at being a mommy today, and please to help me have patience. And I repeated my request to be a stay at home mom! (I keep remembering the parable in the Bible about the unjust judge!)
So with my spirits renewed, I decided to make a yummy dessert. (One S or two? can't remember!)
Anyhoo, I had some oatmeal crisp cookies I made the other day. I took them, softened some ice cream, and made ice cream sandwiches, and then rolled them in multicolored sprinkles! They got so messy K had to take Bella outside on the deck to eat hers. But watching them enjoy dessert just saved the whole evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment