Counting small miracles. Expecting large blessings.



Friday, April 9, 2010

The Difference of a Day

I'm so behind on my blog! Things have been so busy. The funny thing is, I should have more time to blog now. Theoretically.

Since Abbigail was born, I've really been wanting to spend more time with my girls. They grow so very quickly. And even though they are in excellent hands while I'm at work (Mon. and Tues. with Nana, Wed. and Thurs. with Aunt Beth) it grated on me that I only got three days with them, and other people got four. Shouldn't I have the majority?

So I did some financial figuring to see if I could cut back a day at work. I made lists and calculations. There are things I'm willing to give up if need be...trash pickup, yes. Eating out, yes. Cell phone, absolutely not. (We don't even have a land line!)

Once I decided it was possible, the next step was bringing it up at the next Board Meeting. (i.e. the dinner table). So after we had eaten, I blurted out, "We need to talk!" And the thing is, I hate it when people begin conversations that way! So I laid out "The Plan" for hubby, and he agreed we could make it work.

Then came the fun part. Asking The Boss. Now don't get me wrong, The Boss is a nice guy. He's always treated me excellently. As far as my nervous system is concerned, that does not matter one tiny bit. I still got the works: sweaty palms, dry mouth, stomach doing backflips. Anyway, I caught him alone in his office, ran in, and shut the door. At that point there was no turning back. You don't go in The Boss' office and shut the door to discuss the weather.

Before he could even ask, I said, "I'm not pregnant!". Because The Boss always assumes that's what you are coming to tell him. When you work with several women in childbearing age, it's actually a pretty common occurance so I understand where he's coming from.

"I'm not pregnant, and I'm not quitting (always his second assumption), but I want to ask if you'd consider letting me cut back and work three days a week. I need to spend more time with my girls."

If you say it fast enough, your synapses get a little behind and you can keep your voice from shaking because you are nervous.

The Boss pondered a moment. Then said, "That sounds reasonable. Let me discuss it with The Other Boss and I'll let you know by the end of the day."

Luckily, it didn't take that long. He came and found me in about ten minutes and said it was okay. It's a good thing I didn't have to wait till the end of the day, because I was doing that thing where you talk a lot because you're nervous. I was starting to annoy myself.

Anyway, I now work three days a week. I now have four days off. It's a beautiful thing. The balance of my life has shifted, and you'd be amazed at the difference that one day makes. That one day is reading more stories to Bella. That one day is more cuddling with Abbigail. That one day means for the majority of my week, I am a mother and not an employee.

Don't mistake me, I love my job. But I love my kids more.

Yesterday I got my first reduced paycheck. We have a four day work week, and I gave up a day, which is a quarter of my income. And I make pretty good money, so a quarter of it was nothing to sneeze at.

It was worth every penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment