Counting small miracles. Expecting large blessings.



Friday, April 23, 2010

Am I crazy???!!!

If you follow my blog, you know I've been considering the idea of homeschool. Well, I have to make a confession here: I used to think people who homeschooled their kids were a little....well, wierd. I figured they were either paranoid, or their kids were so heinous they had been kicked out of public school. (And I'm sure occasionally this holds true!) But once I started thinking about homeschooling my own kids, I realized that homeschooling is a lot more mainstream than most people think.

There are several families that are patients in our office who homeschool, and their kids are very well adjusted and "normal", for whatever that's worth. But I think a lot of people still associate negative feelings with homeschooling- like I used to do. For example, I recently told one of my husband's relatives that I was considering homeschool, and they looked at me as if I had confessed a sudden urge to join the Hare Krishnas.

Oh, well.

Today I went to my first homeschool group meeting. I figured the best way to meet other moms is to just jump in! I was a little nervous, because there were lots of families there and I didn't really know anyone, but I'm so glad I went! All the other moms were very friendly and encouraging. They are part of a co-op that meets on Fridays, with classes for different ages from preschool to high school.

So I'm going to continue doing some research online, and do some reading before I make my final decision.

1 comment:

  1. I have a couple of amazing women that are clients of mine that homeschool their kids. If you want to connect with them, let me know. Actually, you may have even met them at your meeting! You never know!

    I think if God has called you to homeschool your children then it can't be wrong, even if some people do think it's crazy. Look what poor Noah went through! Tony and I LOVE the elementary school that Jocelyn is in but we are certainly tossing around different ideas for what we'll do beyond that. You have to follow your instincts, God will show you what to do. :)

    ReplyDelete