Counting small miracles. Expecting large blessings.



Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Pleasantly Surprised

Bella and I have now completed our first few days of homeschooling, and I have to admit, I am surprised....but probably not like you think. See, I didn't decide to homeschool on a whim. I didn't wake up one morning and think, "Oh, maybe we'll give that a try." Nope. I did my homework. Literally.

I read books (lots of them!), I emailed people, I joined a homeschool co-op, I gave my patients who homeschool (a surprising and growing number!) the third degree, I went to a convention, etc. So I had an idea of what to expect.

I expected the extra time I would spend each night, getting the next days' lesson ready.

I expected the extra patience I would need!

I expected the difficulty in keeping Abbigail pacified during lesson time.

I expected to have to develop more of a "morning routine".

I expected to make a commitment to have a learning atmosphere in our home, not just "school hours".

What caught me off guard is how much I would love doing it. It's such an awesome thing to teach your child! It's so wonderful to be there to see that little "aha!" moment when the light comes on. Its so thrilling to watch - biting your tongue the whole time!- as they do a phonics page all by themselves...and get all the answers right!

I know we are just starting out on what (hopefully) will be a long journey. I know there will be tough days, and we will both probably feel like throwing in the proverbial towel more than once. But I'm SO thankful I chose this, and I pray the Lord will give me the patience, the wisdom, and the resources to raise godly children.

No comments:

Post a Comment