Counting small miracles. Expecting large blessings.



Thursday, February 16, 2012

See Me Read!

I am very proud to announce that we have a beginning reader in our home! In my last post I detailed how we had to discontinue our Explode the Code workbook, as it was frustrating both of us! I purchased the "Teach your Child to Read" book by S. Engelmann and we started again... and again (at first) I was disappointed, and Bella was frustrated. I ended up breaking one lesson into two days, and that seemed to work better. Doing very short lessons -about 5 minutes- was about all she could focus on. In the meantime, we read lots of books! That's one thing I try to always, always have time for. I try to stop whatever I am doing and read. Many times we have plopped right down in the kitchen floor to read while something bubbles away on the stove!

Then, several days ago, something just clicked, and Bella "got it"! I had purchased the "Bob Books" readers, and also had a few scholastic readers my cousin Michelle (a fellow homeschooler!) had mailed me. One day after reading another book aloud to her, I casually handed her one of Michelle's readers and held my breath as she opened it and began to sound out the words! I was thrilled! She read two pages with very little assistance.

We are continuing our "Teach Your Child to Read" lessons...which leads me to my next quandry. (...because isn't there always another quandry?!) I've (almost) decided to use the Abeka curriculum for Bella's kindergarten. Although using a "box " curriculum - a complete grade level from one publisher- is exactly what I intended not do to, the reason being a more eclectic approach is likely more customizable to your child's interests / abililty. So why did I change my mind (for now!) ? One reason is that I really like Abeka publishing. It is academically advanced and faith based. And as I work three days a week, Bella's education is going to be a group effort! My husband and I will be her primary teachers, with my mother also helping. So having everything layed out for me will be a big help, as I won't have as much time as a stay at home mom would have to use a more customized curriculum. And I still intend to use supplemental materials as much as possible.

Bella's learning to read has been a big confidence booster for both of us. She is so proud of herself, and I am so relieved that we are over that first-of-many hurdles!

I am also very excited that my mother and I will be attending the Great Homeschool Convention in Greeneville, SC next month! There will be 200+ vendors of homeschool curriculum and materials, as well as many workshops to attend. I hope to make a final decision about kindergarted curriculum while we are there and I can physically look over different systems... and who knows, if I make my mind of fast enough, we may squeeze in a trip to the mall!

No comments:

Post a Comment