Counting small miracles. Expecting large blessings.



Thursday, February 16, 2012

ihomeschool

Recently, my husband and I were eligible to renew our cell phone contract, which of course means a phone upgrade. I had been steadfastly against getting a smart phone. "I don't need to check my email from the mall," I said. "I don't want to pay for a data plan," I said. "I just need to be able to talk and text," I said.

My husband had already decided to take the plunge and get a Droid 4, so we waited a few days until they came on the market to go renew our plan. And in those fateful few days, something very important happened...

My friend Kim got an iphone.

She came over for dinner one night and let me fiddle around with it, and I admit it grew on me pretty quickly. So I announce to my husband that, "I want an iphone!" Being the wonderful man he is, he took my complete opinion reversal in stride, and off we went to Verizon. And quickly we were in possession of phones that (I'm convinced!) are smarter than we are...

I have to admit, after the first few days of not knowing how to do anything, and wondering why in the world I really needed a phone with a flashlight app...I had some buyers remorse. But the more I learned about the phone, the more I liked it.

I have my Bible on my phone.
I can listen to Christian music on Pandora.
Bella loooooves playing Angry Birds.

But this morning was the clencher. During homeschool, our Bible lesson was on "David and Goliath". We read about David wearing Kind Saul's heavy armor, and her activity was to put "armor" stickers on a picture of David. While she was doing this, I used my phone to look up Ephesians 6:14-17 and read it, as it pertained to the lesson: " Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of rightousness; and your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith..." And when she asked why he had armor on his legs, I explained what greaves were, then looked it right up on wikipedia to show her a real pair....

I'm sold. I may create an entire K-12 homeschool curriculum that can be done using a pencil ,a notebook, a and an iphone....

No comments:

Post a Comment