Counting small miracles. Expecting large blessings.



Sunday, June 26, 2011

Decisions, decisions...

This past weekend, I was fortunate to be able to attend the Smoky Mountain Home Education Association's (SMHEA) Family Resource Fair. My mom went along for the ride, and we headed down to Crown College in Powell, TN on Friday morning.

The fair featured an exhibit hall and several workshop sessions. We attended one for "New Home Educators". It was very interesting. The speaker is a mother of three (ages 12, 18, and 20) whose oldest two children were homeschooled k-12 and are now in college. Since I have read pretty extensively on the subject of homeschooling, different approaches, etc, some of what she said was review. But it was still good to hear, and so awesome to be in a room full of like-minded parents!

The exhibit hall was honestly a bit overwhelming! There are so many resources, it's hard to know where to start looking! There was a little bit of everying, from Spanish language programs to athletic associations to academic curricula. I got lots of brochures and talked to several people.

I did refrain from buying anything, though, because the last thing I want to do is make an impulse purchase! In fact, prior to the fair I had made up my mind to use Saxon Math. No question. I was sure! This was the one! Then I happened by a display for a program called Math U See. I had heard of this before, and know a mom who uses it, so my mom and I stopped to look at it and talk to the representative. We both really like the system, it uses a approach that is very hands-on and uses written worksheets for review. So, now I am undecided again!

I did purchase the phonics program I decided on, "Explode the Code". I plan on beginning it with Bella in the next two or three weeks, simply because she is ready. I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment