Counting small miracles. Expecting large blessings.



Friday, February 11, 2011

Turning Off the Tube

My sister and I were raised in what most people would consider a very strict household. We had limitations on music, movies, and extracurricular activities. And- a biggie for most people- we did not have a television. When I was a kid I never really understood the reaction I got from people when I told them that. Now it's kind of like someone telling you they don't have a cell phone or a landline.

Quite obviously I survived to adulthood.

My husband was raised (like most people!) in a home with a television. So when we got married and I moved into his house, we had one. For the first couple of years we didn't have cable. Then we just got basic cable. Then we got the bundle with internet and 75 channels.

Do you see where this is going?

So my children are being raised in a home with a television. Don't get me wrong, I do not believe their watching Dora the Explorer is leading to the early exploration of narcotics. I do not believe the Mickey Mouse Club is warping their little minds. Spongebob Squarepants, on the other hand...

And I'm guilty as well. I don't watch a lot of t.v. And when I do it's usually HGTV. And I do really enjoy "19 Kids and Counting" on TLC. Is this making me a horrible person? Probably not.

But for my kids it comes down to standards. When they outgrow Dora, do I really want them watching Hannah Montana or iCarly? Absolutely not. Do I want them seeing commercials with sexual innuendo? (even shampoo commercials, for crying out loud!) No thanks. Do I need to hear "Mommy, can I get that?" every time a toy commercial is on? I'll pass.

They could be looking at books. Drawing. Painting. Pretending.

For me it comes down to time. I've come to realize the past few days that I am wasting so much of it. I waste time that I could spend doing productive things around the house. Or with my kids. Reading them books. Watching them draw. Helping them paint. Pretending. Or I could be reading my Bible or praying.

I'm not saying the televisons are going in the trash. Although, to be perfectly honest that's exactly where about 98% of the stuff they show belongs. For one thing, my husband would go into major withdrawals without his ESPN. And I believe some of the childrens programs are good, sound, educational viewing. (like PBS!)

What I have in mind is more of a strict limit on viewing. For instance, allowing half an hour during the morning when a childrens program is on, and then half an hour of a DVD in the evening to wind down. Right now Bella is watching more that that, even though she is by no means a couch potato. So making the change may be a bit difficult. But I believe in the end it will be worth it.

1 comment:

  1. It sneaks in so easily does it not? I also grew up with out TV, and I know it was good for me. Once I was on my own and got a TV... YICKS! I've slowly weaned myself off TV in the last 2 years, going to internet instead of cable was a huge help (no more mindless watching). But I've had a harder time kicking the kids' habit. Having that time to drink my coffee in the morning or to get some chores done quickly in the afternoon is so hard to give up!

    ReplyDelete