Counting small miracles. Expecting large blessings.



Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Ice-capades

Yesterday I took the girls over to my moms for a visit. Bella got to play with Ashlyn, Abby napped on Nana's couch, and I got to make a baby-free trip to Walmart! A good time was had by all.

Between dropping the girls off, going to Wally world, going back to the car for something I forgot, I probably made about four trips back and forth across the driveway without incident. When it was time to leave, my dad carried Bella to the car, and I had Abby's carseat, with the handle in the crook of my arm.

There was a patch of snow in front of my car, and I knew there was ice underneath it, so I decided to walk around it. My feet hit black ice, and down we went! I fell forward instead of backward, which was probably better. I landed on my knees, and poor Abby hit the ground with a "thunk!". The worst part (besides the fact that she got jarred so badly) was that my elbow went in the carrier.

Of course, Abby immediately started screaming. I got up and we hurried back in the house. I unbuckled Abby, laid her on a blanket, and looked her over. I was afraid my elbow had hit her really hard. But after checking her over, I picked her up and loved on her and she was fine. Thank goodness!

On the way home I called the pediatrician to let them know what happened. They said as long as she was acting normally that everything should be fine, and to call immediatly if she started vomiting or if her pupils became uneven in size.

The moral of this story...well, actually there are two. First, when you are carrying your baby to the car on an icy driveway, wear crampons. (you know, the spiky things that climbers wear on thier feet going up Everest).

And two, there are two phone numbers every mother should have on her cell phone speed dial: the pediatrician, and Poison Control.


Speaking of Poison Control, I'm a big fan. If you've never had to call them, thats great, but if you ever do they are wonderful. The first time I had to call was when Bella was about 1 1/2. We took a trip to Pigeon Forge. We had just checked in our hotel, and I was getting something out of my bag when I looked over and she was chewing on something! I grabbed her up and got her to spit it out- it was a pill, or rather half of one, because she'd already eaten a little of it. Luckily, it was one of those gel-coated tablets and I could still read part of the writing- it was Advil she'd found in the floor. But just to be safe I called the pediatrician and left a message on the answering service, then called Poison Control. They said to give her something to drink, and not give her any pain medications (tylenol, motrin, etc) for eight hours.

The pediatrican called back just after that and seconded this advice.

Needless to say we won't be staying in that hotel again. Ever.

Phone call #2 to poison control was about a month ago. Bella came through the house making a face and spitting stuff out. In her hand she had one of those little packets that come in shipped stuff and new coats, you know the ones that say THROW AWAY, DO NOT EAT in capital letters. Being the obedient consumer that I am, I had never opened one. They are full of tiny clear balls. Kenneth ran over to where she was and found several in the floor, it looked like she had spit most of them out. But I wasn't taking any chances, I called Poison Control.

Apparently the DO NOT EAT warning is because the little balls (which it turns out are silica) are not so much a poison as a choking hazard. The lady said if she was breathing okay that there shouldn't be a problem. Whew.

So, please put this number in your cell phone: Poison Control: 1-800-222-1222

No comments:

Post a Comment