Counting small miracles. Expecting large blessings.



Thursday, July 16, 2009

Eat your heart out, Alpha moms!

We've all run in to them somewhere. Alpha moms. The women who have schedules, whose homes run like well-oiled machines, who dress their families in coordinating colors just to go out to eat. Women who iron, for crying out loud... We have one patient at our office who comes to mind. Whenever it's time to schedule an appointment for anyone in her family, out comes the planner. This thing is ginormous. It's the size of a five subject notebook, and she uses different color ink for different family members or activities. I honestly believe she cannot function without it.
Well, I have to admit, I'm a proud "Beta mom". My house is clean, but it is cluttered. There are toys scattered around the living room, regardless of how often I pick them up. The kitchen table always seems to have a stack of papers on it. We throw things in the dryer to get wrinkles out, and only iron in the direst of circumstances. I have been know to show up at church without wipes and have to bum a few from another (beta) mom. The laundry basket is always full of clean laundry that never quite makes it into the drawers. I've been know to vacuum the living room but not bother with the bedrooms 'cause we aren't in there much. There are usually clean dishes piled in the sink from my last effort at home cooking, 'cause I haven't gotten them put away yet.
Why confess such domestic sins? Because I've learned to live with myself! It used to drive me nuts that I wasn't organized within an inch of my life. But then I realized that in three years of marraige and two years of motherhood, none of us have ever gone hungry, or been without clean clothes (wrinkled a bit, maybe, but clean!).
Hey, I must not be doing too bad! Beta moms of the world, rejoice! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment